as the title already states: this was my first jersey project! and it went quite well actually. and is wearable. yay!
the pattern is for free, is called „jerseymütze bettina“ and can be downloaded here. i used a little mod i found at kaddi’s blog. you’ll find a tutorial there which is in german, but quite self-explanatory even if you can’t read the text. the hat is doubled, which is excellent for a jersey newbie like me as you won’t see any crooked seams 😉
the fabric is cute and perfect for a pilot’s son 😉 and i still have enough fabric left for a matching tshirt… will be one of my next projects….
here is the result. it fits and has already been worn several times. and probably will be worn a lot more if summer isn’t coming any time soon…
i recently rediscovered sewing…
in the beginning of my crafting „career“ i sewed quite a lot. mainly bags and accessories. and since lukas was born i always adored those lovely ottobre patterns of tshirts, pullovers, sweatshirts, shirts, jumpsuites, pants etc… and even more adored the looooovely (organic) fabrics you find on the web…
but i always was afraid of sewing jersey fabrics. i just have a normal, non-fancy sewing machine which just has the usual flexible zigzag stitches. but i thought it must be „do-able“ so i dragged my boyfriend and baby along to the fabric market that took place in frankfurt at the 28th april….
and this is my loot 😉
fleece in two turquoise colours, a variety of cute jerseys, ribbons and ribbing. i just got 50cm of every jersey which is enough for tshirts anyway….
at the ottobre website i flipped through the issues and bought the ones i loved best (two directly at the website and one at ebay). so i’m the proud owner of the issues 3/11, 1/12 and 4/12.
inspired by the lovely patterns there i placed another fabric order online at dawanda and got these things:
i’m especially looking forward to using the lovely hamburger liebe sweat (in green and white). it will become a jumpsuite for lukas one day 😉 skulls will be a hat/tshirt, the stars will become pants….
so enough shopping for me for now! it’s sewing time! how exciting!
i will keep you posted with the sewing results soon… but i can already tell you: sewing is so much more difficult than knitting! knitting is like yoga for me: soothing, calming, relaxing. sewing is a fight: stressful, frustrating… but very rewarding too, as you can see the results a lot sooner!
lukas will be christened on 7th july 2013. so some crafting was due 😀
i bought a crafting book about birth and christening cards. on flipping through the book i found some designs i liked and only realized later that the author of the book was anja wägele, the same person who took the newborn photographs of our little lukas! 🙂
this is the book: kartenideen zu geburt & taufe
and i guess anja won’t be cross if i promote her a little, so have a look at her website: http://www.zebrahoernchen.de/
i love the „tree of life“ theme, so i made this design from the book. and also used the theme for the candle and for table decorations (no photos of that yet, obviously).
for the cards i bought matching cards and envelopes, used a stamp for the text, cut the trees from brown paper, created the leaves with a punch and used a variety of other items, like buttons, pearls etc… i found it quite tricky to glue the things to the card without makeing a complete mess. in the end i used a toothpick to apply tiny portions of glue to the pearls and stuff to avoid the glue from oozing out everywhere.
i’m very happy with the result indeed (and so were the recepients of the cards):
it is tradition to make a candle for the child that is christened. either by the parents or by the godparents. so it was a great opportunity to try candle design. 😉 i did a little research at pinterest etc. and collected some ideas. so here is what i came up with. i’m very happy with the result!
it was the first time i decorated a candle. and it was quite easy actually. you just get a candle and wax sheets of your choice and start. you can also buy prepared parts like letters, christian symbols etc. but i found them sooooo ugly! so everything on my candle is handmade. i drew my design on paper and then put this template on the wax sheet, redraw the lines with a pen so that the outlines of the shapes get visible. then i used a cutter to cut out the parts. i thought it might be difficult to put the parts on the candle, but wax just sticks on wax, so no problem with that at all. if you just give light pressure you can reposition the parts, and a little more pressure to attach them permanently.
i’m so proud of this little cardigan for lukas. it was quite a lot of work and took me about 1.5 months because it’s knit with sock weight yarn. the pattern is great, the yarn is great and it really suites the little man 🙂
pattern: wee austin hoodie by connie chang chinchio
didn’t double the yarn in the woven section. instead i knit 10 rows instead of 4 rows of woven section before starting the armhole shaping. the woven band has 18 (instead of 12) rows in total.
yarn: old maiden aunt merino superwash, colourway bitter bug
i made this for my cousin’s wedding in december 2012. i bought a bottle of champagne, rolled up the money and tied it to the bottle with these little guys. bride and groom loved them 🙂
pattern: bear christmas tree decorations by little cotton rabbits
i altered the pattern a little and made a long wedding dress (20 rows), legs for the groom (9 rows) and arms (7 rows). i didn’t like the ears in the pattern so i used the ears from the hamsterbeans pattern.
yarn: all kinds of scraps
needles: 2.25mm dpns
quick and easy project i finished in september 2012. i’ve been wearing this a lot since it’s finished!
pattern: mira’s cowl by mira cole
yarn: lang jarns jawoll superwash solids
needles: 4.5mm short circular
lukas inside :)….